Sunday, January 14, 2018

My First Time Having A Business Class Cabin All To Myself


My First Time Having A Business Class Cabin All To Myself

Filed Under: Qatar, Travel

Over the years I’ve had my fair share of empty first class cabins. I’d estimate that I’ve probably been on close to 10 international first class flights where I was the only person in the cabin. It goes without saying that it’s a real treat when that happens. You typically have 1-2 flight attendants taking care of just you, so service is exceptional. For a brief moment it also gives you the feeling that you’re on a private jet, only better (personally I’d rather feel like I’m on an A380 or 777 private jet than on a Gulfstream). 😉

However, as far as I can remember I’ve never had a business class cabin all to myself. I could be wrong, but if I have, I don’t remember it. It seems to me like that’s much rarer, both because more people can justify paying for business class than first class, and also because business class cabins are typically larger.

Well, today for the first time I had a business class cabin all to myself. Okay, I probably wasn’t as excited as I’d otherwise be given that it was just a 2.5 hour flight from Yerevan to Doha, and given that this was after a 10 hour delay. But still, there’s something sort of cool about the crew saying “boarding complete,” and then looking around and realizing there’s no one in sight. Of course it gets even better after takeoff when the curtains are closed, and you have true privacy.

This was another flawless Qatar Airways flight. Unlike my flight from Doha to Yerevan, this flight wasn’t operated by an A320 with flat beds, but rather featured Qatar’s regional recliner seats. Even so, Qatar Airways offers an unparalleled soft product — dine on demand, a five course meal, two types of champagne, pre-departure drinks of choice, amenity kits, etc.

Once again, the food was spectacular. The meal started with a spicy carrot and cumin soup.

Then there was a smoked salmon and cream cheese roulade appetizer.

Then I had the tofu in panko bread crumbs with curry sauce as my main course.

Then for dessert was a chocolate crunch with raspberry coulis.

I had two flight attendants taking care of me, and they were both excellent. Fortunately they weren’t too overly attentive, which can get a bit awkward when you’re the only passenger, since there’s no subtle way they can check on you.

The arrival experience at the airport was equally impressive. On one hand, I can’t wrap my head around how Hamad International Airport just opened a few years ago, and is the self proclaimed five star gateway to the world, but I almost always seem to both arrive and depart from a remote stand here. On the other hand, Qatar Airways has separate buses for premium passengers, even if it’s just you. 😉

While I would have preferred my flight to not be delayed by 10 hours, it was a fantastic short flight nonetheless.

After flying with Qatar Airways it’s always tough to return to the US and deal with the domestic flying grind, as the experience is just ever-so-slightly different.

I'm really lucky when it comes to the punctuality of the flights I take. No, my flights aren't always on-time, but off the top of my head the last overnight flight delay I recall was on an Etihad flight from Incheon to Abu Dhabi in 2014. I've certainly…

Continue Reading »

I'm just wrapping up a couple of crazy trips that had me flying 40,000 miles in 10 days. I'm exhausted, as this has been an insane couple of weeks of travel even by my own usual crazy standards. On the plus side, I was able to spend a few days in Yerevan,…

Continue Reading »

I'm really lucky when it comes to the punctuality of the flights I take. No, my flights aren't always on-time, but off the top of my head the last overnight flight delay I recall was on an Etihad flight from Incheon to Abu Dhabi in 2014. I've certainly…

Continue Reading »

I've just spent a few days in Yerevan, and spent two of those nights staying at the Marriott Yerevan. This is supposedly one of the best hotels in the city, if not the best (the Kardashians stayed here when they visited in 2015, and there's no one who…

Continue Reading »

There are a few airlines that have rear facing business class seats. Off the top of my head, American, British Airways, Etihad, Qatar, and United come to mind as the airlines with these types of seats on at least some of their planes. A couple of days…

Continue Reading »

One of the main goals of the Gulf carriers is to develop the infrastructure of their home countries and put them on the map. One certainly has to wonder where Doha would be without Qatar Airways, or where Dubai would be without Emirates. While these…

Continue Reading »

Earlier I shared my experience flying from New York to Doha in Qatar Airways' Qsuites, which I consider to be the world's best business class. After that flight I connected from Doha to Yerevan, Armenia, and surprisingly that flight left me just as impressed.…

Continue Reading »

Hello from Doha! I just got off the 12 hour flight from New York in Qatar Airways' new Qsuites business class, which the airline introduced last year. This is Qatar Airways' new business class suites with doors, for which they have the slogan "First…

Continue Reading »

For the past several years I’ve been participating in the SPG Stars program, which has taken me to some pretty awesome places. I love the SPG Amex Credit Card, and it’s one of the cards I’ve had in my wallet for the longest amount of time. It was one…

Continue Reading »

A couple months ago I went to Alaska for a weekend. (It was the cheapest way to complete my Delta Platinum Medallion challenge.) I didn't realize how cold and snowy it'd be in October! But I made the most of it. I just needed a quiet, comfortable place…

Continue Reading »

We arrived in Santiago at 9:40PM, while our connecting flight was at 11:40PM, so we had a decent connection time. However, the transit process ended up taking longer than expected. I found the signage in the airport to be bad, and as we made our way…

Continue Reading »

Our flight from Easter Island to Santiago was departing at 2:55PM, and the hotel dropped us off at the airport at 12:40PM, which seemed awfully early. To enter the terminal you had to put your bag through an x-ray, though the person manning the belt…

Continue Reading »

I'm just wrapping up a couple of crazy trips that had me flying 40,000 miles in 10 days. I'm exhausted, as this has been an insane couple of weeks of travel even by my own usual crazy standards. On the plus side, I was able to spend a few days in Yerevan,…

Continue Reading »

Over the years I've had my fair share of empty first class cabins. I'd estimate that I've probably been on close to 10 international first class flights where I was the only person in the cabin. It goes without saying that it's a real treat when that…

Continue Reading »

I'm really lucky when it comes to the punctuality of the flights I take. No, my flights aren't always on-time, but off the top of my head the last overnight flight delay I recall was on an Etihad flight from Incheon to Abu Dhabi in 2014. I've certainly…

Continue Reading »

British Airways has first class fare sales with some frequency. While British Airways' first class isn't great (I've often called it the world's best business class, but I'm not even sure that's accurate anymore), flying British Airways first class is…

Continue Reading »




Source : onemileatatime.boardingarea

No comments:

Post a Comment