Thursday, January 25, 2018

Is Marriott Revising The SPG Program Beginning March 1, 2018?




Is Marriott Revising The SPG Program Beginning March 1, 2018?


Filed Under: Marriott, Starwood Preferred Guest


Marriott’s takeover of Starwood closed in September 2016. As a Starwood loyalist I’ve been impressed overall by their path towards integration. From day one Marriott and Starwood have offered reciprocal elite benefits and points transfers between programs, while maintaining the benefits of the individual programs.

READ MORE :
https://tausiyah.info/marriott-updates-lifetime-status-requirements-more/
https://tausiyah.info/british-airways-intends-to-lease-three-qatar-airways-a330s/
https://tausiyah.info/united-considering-major-airbus-a330neo-or-boeing-787-order/


We do know that eventually Marriott intends to create a single global loyalty program, as they presently run three programs — Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and Starwood Preferred Guest. Marriott has been working on aligning some policies between programs so that the transformation into a single program won’t be quite as radical, when it finally happens. They’ve also been providing plenty of notice of what’s to come, including that Amex and Chase will both be issuing Marriott credit cards in the future.
As far as the merger of the programs goes, Marriott has said that they hope to have a single technology platform in 2018, and then plan to combine the programs at a later point, which presumably means 2019 or later.
Twitter user @HH_Cash points to an SEC filing for a company that owns the St. Regis Aspen, which contains the following:
Changes to the Starwood Preferred Guests, or SPG, guest loyalty program could adversely impact our revenues and ability to pay dividends.
We have been advised by Marriott that they intend to revise the SPG guest loyalty program for us beginning March 1, 2018. During 2016 and the first nine months of 2017, our revenues under this program were $2.4 million and $3.8 million, respectively. Although we continue to discuss with Marriott the details regarding such changes, there is a risk that any changes could result in a decrease in revenues to us which could reduce our profitability and could materially and adversely affect our results of operations and ability to pay dividends.
HH_Cash has a “holy crap” reaction, though personally I don’t read into it in quite the same way. Yes, I suspect we’ll start to see some changes to the SPG program over the coming months, as Marriott tries to make policy changes to all three loyalty program to get them more in-line before they’re actually integrated.
However, it’s just as likely that these adjustments are happening on the back-end, especially as this filing is from a company that owns a hotel. This could include things like aligning the costs to hotels for buying points and opting into promotions, the reimbursement rates for award stays, or a slew of other things.
So my reaction to the above isn’t “oh my gosh, the SPG program is basically ending or being destroyed on March 1, 2018.” Yes, we’ll likely start to see some changes to the program over the coming months, but I don’t think the March 1 date specifically refers to any major changes that impact guests directly.
I certainly could be wrong, though.
What do you make of the statement in this SEC filing?
American has been trying to get a copyright on the logo they have been using since they rebranded a few years ago. Specifically, I'm talking about this blue, red, and white thing that's supposed to look like a wing, or a bird, or something. The United…
Continue Reading »
The Sheraton Frankfurt Airport is one of the better airport hotels out there, at least for those staying in their club wing. While the rooms in their standard wing aren't noteworthy, the hotel has nice club rooms, and a very nice club lounge, especially…
Continue Reading »
Every major hotel brand has a huge amount of variability in terms of the quality of their hotels. This is true from Ritz-Carlton to Holiday Inn. In the case of W Hotels, I'd say most of their properties are fairly mediocre, and in many cases style over…
Continue Reading »
I had about 19 hours in Dubai between flights, as I was arriving from Colombo and connecting to Brussels. I've been to Dubai at least a couple of dozen times, and for this short stay figured I'd try one of the hotels that has fascinated me the most,…
Continue Reading »
Welcome to my next trip report, covering travel in Swiss' business class, Air India's business class, Emirates' brand new first class, and TAP Air Portugal's business class. This was a trip I took exclusively to be able to review some new airline products.…
Continue Reading »
I've just spent a few days in Yerevan, and spent two of those nights staying at the Marriott Yerevan. This is supposedly one of the best hotels in the city, if not the best (the Kardashians stayed here when they visited in 2015, and there's no one who…
Continue Reading »
I've written several times over the past two years about Starwood's Luxury Privileges program, which is Starwood's proprietary preferred partner program. Luxury Privileges offers special perks like daily breakfast, room upgrades, and hotel credits when…
Continue Reading »
I had about 19 hours in Dubai between flights, as I was arriving from Colombo and connecting to Brussels. I've been to Dubai at least a couple of dozen times, and for this short stay figured I'd try one of the hotels that has fascinated me the most,…
Continue Reading »
It has been a while since I've flown Emirates first class, though the second I boarded I had the biggest smile on my face. At the forward door I was welcomed by Draginja, the Serbian flight attendant who would be taking care of me. Unlike the A380, Emirates'…
Continue Reading »
I arrived at Colombo Airport shortly after 7:30AM, plenty early for my 9:55AM flight to Dubai. Colombo Airport has tight security, as you have to go through two security screenings before they even let you into the check-in hall. Emirates' check-in counter…
Continue Reading »
I had a quick one night stopover in Colombo. I arrived at around 5PM, and was leaving the next morning at around 9AM. The city of Colombo is quite a ways from the airport, though there aren't any good airport hotels, as far as I know. Fortunately there's…
Continue Reading »
Marriott's takeover of Starwood closed in September 2016. As a Starwood loyalist I've been impressed overall by their path towards integration. From day one Marriott and Starwood have offered reciprocal elite benefits and points transfers between programs,…
Continue Reading »
American has been trying to get a copyright on the logo they have been using since they rebranded a few years ago. Specifically, I'm talking about this blue, red, and white thing that's supposed to look like a wing, or a bird, or something. The United…
Continue Reading »
Air India primarily uses Boeing 777s and 787s for their longhaul flights. Their 787s are reasonably decent, and feature fully flat business class seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Their 777s, on the other hand, are more outdated. The planes feature an…
Continue Reading »
The way I see it, both The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN are fantastic cards. I often get questions about which card is better (aside from the obvious fact that one is a personal card…
Continue Reading »



Source : onemileatatime.boardingarea

No comments:

Post a Comment